Monday, June 20, 2011

Preach On, Sister Jen

Do you know what you believe? I mean really, really, really know what you believe? Do you know it well enough that should you read/hear something that goes against what you believe that you would recognize it?

In our house, we have what is called Jen's Barstool Preaching. It happens often. It happens weekly. It involves me perched up on our kitchen barstool preaching about the latest heresy I have heard or read. Generally I have already written down something edifying in the book like, "that's not right" or "Seriously?" and if I am feeling ultra-super-duper-Spiritual I'll have a Scripture reference to back me up.

Jamison has perfected the art of turning on his nothingness compartment. (Seriously, who knew this phenomenon existed in the male brain? It's taken close to seven years of marriage for me to realize that this is no lie.) He's good at nodding and smiling while I preach on. It would be nice if occasionally he would throw in an amen or something. I mean, I am Baptist after all.

Not only I have I heard the most absurd things lately, I decided to catch up on my podcast listening. I'm not that far behind. I only left off in December 2010. So I turned on White Horse Inn, Know What You Believe and Why You Believe It, Dec 12, 2010 edition. The podcast was a survey done at Christian booksellers convention.

Here is a sample of the questions they asked. Do you agree/disagree with the following statements:
- There is no one who seeks God, no one who does good.
- Children are not born guilty of Adam's Sin, but are only become guilty at the age of accountability.
- We're saved by grace after all we can do.
- God helps those who help themselves.

How did you do? I was shocked by the results, but I won't bore you with the statistics. The commentary done on WHI was much more amusing than I ever could be.

Here's what the last week reminded me:
(to steal from White Horse Inn's Tagline) Know what you believe. Know why you Believe It.

From Jen: Know what the Bible says. Test what you hear/read. Be a Berean. Test the Scriptures. The End.

No comments: