Friday, July 8, 2011

Use Your Words

As I watch the drought and wildfires that are consuming our great state, I have been thinking about all things Texas.  Bluebonnets, Blue Bell and the Birds.  In particular, the mockingbird.

Aside from the fact that it is our state bird, and that it mocks other birds, that was about all I knew.
Dr. Google says the following:

Ask any Texan, and you will no doubt learn that the mockingbird has the prettiest song of any bird native to North America. That's perhaps the chief reason the "mocker" was adopted as the state bird of Texas in 1927. Legend has it when Texas chose the mockingbird as its state bird, the resolution stated that the bird is "a fighter for the protection of his home, falling, if need be, in its defense, like any true Texan..." Its species name comes from the Greek mimus to mimic, and ployglottos for "many-tongued.�  (http://www.shgresources.com/tx/symbols/bird/)

A mockingbird can have up to 25-30 songs in its repertoire at one time (http://www.lsjunction.com/bird.htm)

For some reason, the mockingbird has stuck with me and how often do I feel like this bird?

A beautiful song I may at times play, but how many times do I feel that it is because I am mimicking 25-30 women in my life.  I want to blog like Missy, do crafts like Katie, sew like Sharyn, create like Suzanne, teach like Leanne, and the list goes on.  You will hear me say, "I can copy, but not create." I feel like a mocker, hiding behind other's songs. Mimicking at it's best.

Do you ever feel that way - like all you are doing is mimicking those around you? It's left me with the question, "What am I good at?"   What is the song that God has created me to sing?  What is my song?  I don't want to merely imitate those around me that I respect.  I want to flourish in the way He has created me. I can learn from others as we are told to seek wise council, but the Lord did not create me to be just like them.  He created me uniquely.

First and foremost the Lord has shown me that I am ultimately to "imitate" him as I am conformed to the image of His son.

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children ; 2 and walk in lovejust as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.  Ephesians 5:1-2

Ephesians 4:29-32 gives me a glimpse of what this looks like:
vs 29  Speak helpful, edifying words
vs 32  Be Kind
vs 32  Be Compassionate
vs 32  Forgive as Christ forgave you

I don't even want to stop and think about how well I am doing there.  Does my song merge together the melody of edification, kindness, forgiveness?  Oh, I dare say not as I blow it so many times a day with my children. Yet they are first and foremost the very people I am a reflection of Christ for.  I need work. I need help. I need Christ. Daily. Hourly. Minute by Minute.

Then there is the part of the melody that I have been praying for.  Lord, what am I passionate about? 

As I have been reading through the Psalms, the same thing has been jumping out at me:

"Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, Till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come."  Plsam 71:18

"My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long." Psalm 71:24

"...I will tell of all of your deeds." Psalm 73:28

Ultimately I am to sing His song, to tell of His deeds, His power, His righteous acts. To glorify Him.

In our house, due to the insane amount of temper tantrums these days by all 3 kids, the summer mantra has become, "Use your words. You have words, so use them."  As I read through the Psalms, it was if I heard, "use your words.  You have them. Use them."

It starts with telling my children of the great and mighty things God has done: most importantly of sending His Son to give them a right relationship with Him. It is telling others of the great and praiseworthy things He has done. My life is His life. My story is ultimately His story. It is for His glory and yet I fail each day to tell it.

How is the Lord weaving together your song?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Um you're good at some many things that I can't even start. For starters, your blogging and parenting advice are a blessing. You may blog differently than Missy but both blogs teach me! I think you're great at sharing the reality of being a mom of three!

And our mantra is also "Use Your Words." We too have been in the yelling fit throwing phase. So I feel you pain.