Saturday, February 5, 2011

Not Meant to Race Alone

A little bit of Jen trivia: I am more of an introvert than an extrovert.  Those who know me very, very well, know this to be true of me.  I still remember taking the Myers Briggs test in my Organizational Behavior class  when I was in grad school. One of the girls in my class said I would peg you for an extrovert. She got my whole assessment right except for that one trait. I'm actually borderline between the two, but on most days I tend more toward the introverted side. Contrary to what people believe, an introvert is not shy, an introvert is recharged by spending time alone!  Probably why I am re-energized so much on my runs; it is my time alone - that and all the endorphins from the runner's high. I saw a shirt the other day that said, "running is my happy hour."  I am so happy when I am running, even on days when it is hard to start.  Plus, as I have stated multiple times before, it is my time with the Lord when I get so much clarity.  I am so very blessed to have a husband who understands all of this about me and practically forces me out on my runs.  In fact, I can remember multiple times when he has said to me, "GO RUN NOW!"  He knows I need it.


However, while running is good alone, I was reminded starkly this fall of how good it is to run with others. The Lord brought into my life a good friend who introduced me to a group of women who run together.  They are incredible. They have strengthened me on my run, they have encouraged me, they have prayed for me, they have checked on me and they have raced with me.  While I need my runs alone to be quiet before the Lord, I was reminded that I also need others.  


Hebrews 10:23-25
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching. 

I need the encouragement (to pour courage into) from others, both physically and spiritually. It is vital that I am not running through life alone.  It is not good for me to be out of fellowship with other believers. I  am created for relationship, both with the Lord and with others. While I may be recharged by myself, there is so much wisdom and encouragement to be gained in and from the fellowship of believers.Not only that, in love, they also call me to accountability in my walk.  Ouch.  Let me ask you, have you gotten out of habit of meeting together with other believers? Have you let yourself off the hook with a list of valid excuses (perhaps your latest is 'I have a newborn.' oh wait - that one is mine!)?  it is so easy to stay home stay in bed, use your Sunday mornings to sleep, grocery shop, etc. but we are called to worship corporately and to fellowship with others.  We need to be spurred on (and I wish I had the energy to do more research on the original meaning of this word: I am sure it is awesome) and we need to be spurring others on toward the finish line.  


I guess I was in need of this lesson as I was also chosen to run as a part of the Living Water team.  I had no idea the difference it would make on race day. I have always run half marathons on my own.  No one could have told me the difference it would make to put the shirt on.  For one, my mindset was different. I knew I was there for them, as a part of the team. I desired to make my team proud. In addition, there was a KSBJ/Living Water station several places along the course. It seemed like every couple of miles they had groups of people ready to cheer you on. Whenever they would see a person in a jersey, they would literally go crazy, ringing bells, yelling your name, giving high fives, telling you you  could do it.  It made all the difference in how I ran.  You see, I wasn't having to constantly tell myself to hang on, that I could do it, but I had people who were on my side encouraging me to the finish line.  


Perhaps the biggest influence was our Coach who was at mile 10.  I remember him saying, "only 3 more miles. You can do this."  While it may seem like just mere words, I knew that he had run ULTRA marathons. He has been where I am. He had done it. He knew that I could finish out the race and that in the grand scheme of things, three miles was not that much.  The spiritual application flooded my mind. Not only do I need the physical encouragement of meeting together with other believers, I can also find so much encouragement in the men and women in Scripture who have walked the road before me. Many of them have been on the same path as me and have, through faith, finished well.    Abraham was called to a new location, the disciples to new jobs, Elijah survived the desert, Paul the prison, fishermen became followers, and the list goes on.  They have been there, they have walked there, they have finished. Mostly there is Christ who endured it all and now sits at the right hand of the Father, victorious! How beautiful that the Lord has written it all down for us to read, to be sanctified, and to be encouraged. Meet with other believers, but don't forget to also meet with the Lord.


Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.



No comments: