Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Get Out of the Window

This Monday night I had the pleasure of attending Outbreak, a night of praise and worship for women in the Katy area. It goes on for eight weeks and we would love for you to join us.  This week, Gari Meachum, spoke on having Contagious Worship.  In her words, "worship is coming undone before God."


She went on to go through what she called the three mosaics of worship.  They are:
-  Worship resulting from storms
-  Worship resulting from awe
-  Worship resulting from surrender

It was a great, great message on worship and has really had me thinking. I would love to say the part on the storms got to me, because I love how Peter sank and the disciples still worshiped. It made me think that even in times when I start to sink, others are watching and worship can still result, not because I failed, but because the Lord saves.  Gari made the point that we are to worship while the boat is still rocking.

However, the one that has been eating away at me was the part on worship resulting from awe. Gari used the Scripture 2 Samuel 6:12-23 where David is dancing with all of his might because the ark is being brought back to Jerusalem.  He was in awe of what the Lord was doing and was worshiping with all of his might.

2 Samuel 6:14-15, "David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sounds of trumpets."


The Scripture goes on to say in vs 16, "as the ark of the Lord was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Sal watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart."


Gari made the point that our worship can draw criticism from others, but even so, we are to continue to worship the Lord with all of our might.  We should continue on.  Great point.....but how often am I in the window instead of on the street?

How many times am I like Michal?  How many times do I sit in the window and criticize how someone else is worshiping?  She even goes as far as to question David on it in verse 20, "How the King of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!" (She was reprimanded and harshly).

Can you believe they would sing that song in that way?
Can you believe that she thinks looking at a flower or watching a sunset is the same as singing praises to God? (side note: Gary Thomas has a great book called Sacred Pathways that talks about the different ways that we can worship God).
Can you believe that she would dance?
Can you believe...you fill in the blank...

Here is what I thought, how often am I looking at how others are doing things rather than what God is doing? For when I look at how they are worshiping instead of what is going on in my very midst, I may very well be missing out on what the Lord is doing. What a tragedy that I miss His presence all because I was focused on someone else rather than Him.  I don't want to ever miss out on what the Lord is doing and miss the opportunity to worship Him and Him alone.

I need to get out of the window and on to that street.  While I am way too reserved to dance, I love to run and as I have said many times before, my greatest worship comes from turning one foot over the other, praising the Lord along the way!

I encourage you to get out of your window and get to worshiping.

No comments: