Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mom to Mom: Transitioning 2 to 3 Tip

Last August, my world was rocked. I went from 2 kids to 3 kids. I know there are super women out there who have 4, 5 and 6 and can do it with ease and whose kids are closer together than mine. However, three kids ages 4 and under has thrown me into a tailspin. As I was cleaning tonight I remembered another little trick that has helped me. It was actually my husband's idea, but it has saved me and helps me be a better mom during the day ('cause I know I am getting help at night).

We all know that children thrive on schedule, but what about the parents? We created our own little schedule. Jamison has been wonderful in recognizing that for a season, until I learn to balance 3, that I need a little help with what are my daily chores. Right now, if everyone is alive at the end of the day, the beds are made and dinner is on the table, I call success. However, that leaves lots of chores undone. He proposed helping me as long as he knew what to expect when.

So, here is our schedule:
Sun: get the house tidied up - not cleaned, but just straightened up so Monday isn't so daunting. I also give J the mornings I would like to run.

Mon night: we love Castle and to also poke fun at the Bachelor (guilty pleasure). So, we watch together and we FOLD laundry together. Sometimes I iron. Sometimes I actually get it all done during the day and we can just veg together.

Tues night: cleaning night. Again, I do as much as possible and enlist the kids help as much as possible, but getting the whole house clean is next to impossible. I have a list and we divide and conquer together. Not too bad tonight as we had to mop, do the tubs and toilets. I actually managed to dust and vacuum during the day.

Wed night: we actually started a few years ago, but have stuck to it. It's a hybrid of some very wise counseling we got. One person told us to set aside a night where we can talk, discuss issues, whether it be unresolved conflict, to parenting issues, to whatever we need to discuss. That way things didn't slip through the cracks. Sometimes the lists are long, sometimes short. Each of us brings items to the table. For instance last week my list consisted of: what are we going to do about the pesky squirrel that has made my attic his home? should Grayson play t-ball/soccer? When do we want to start swim lessons for the kids? Preschool - how many days? how do I deal with Grayson's talking back? Nothing too contentious. However, that is not all weeks. Which is where the second piece of advice I got comes in. If you have an issue to resolve, write it on an index card. Think about it, pray about it and then write down the 3 main points you want to make. It helps keep you focused when you are talking to your spouse and it helps you process what is most important!

Another divide and conquer tip that has helped us: one cleans the kitchen (99% of the time that's me) and the other gives the kids a bath.

That's it. I hope to report soon that I don't need help on Mon/Tues nights, but for now it is making the transition to juggling kids easier.

3 comments:

Callie said...

love this!!! 3 is hard isn't it? It rocked my world too! but I must say, I am impressed that you make beds!!!! The only time our bed is made is when the house keeper comes every 2 weeks! Ha! Hope you are doing well, maybe we can actually SEE each other one day!

Laura said...

I love your Wed. night idea. How great to have an actually scheduled time to discuss basic family stuff and the more icky, hard stuff if need be. An index would help me a bunch for the hard stuff.

Wendy said...

Okay- so B and I watch The Bachelor together too on Monday nights. Guilty pleasure :) You are an awesome momma and have a terrific hubby who helps out. I am so thankful that B will do anything. In fact, he bathes the kids each night while I clean the kitchen. Once the kids are down, we are done for the night! But, mine nap at the exact same time so I can do the chores. I'm sure having a newborn again would change everything and send me to the loony bin!!! Oh, and I loved your idea about whose on first. Mine used to fight about those things, but have stopped. If it starts again, I am totally doing that! :)