For the longest time, I associated Amazing Grace with being sad, a hymn reserved only for funerals. And while funerals celebrate that someone has graduated and gone to be with our Lord and Savior, there is still a saddness that we as humans feel over our loss. A few months back when I was teaching a Sunday morning class, I decided in preparation for the class to read the Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges. It was such a fresh reminder to me that each and every day we need to be preaching the gospel to our selves. As he states, "Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace." I thought long and hard about that and realized that all too often I take forgranted that beautiful gift of grace that saved a wretch like me. So, in effort to begin to remind myself of the beauty of God's grace, every afternoon at naptime I sing Grayson the words to this hymn. May you too be reminded of God's grace as you read the words this morning.
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught...my heart to fear. And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years...bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...then when we've first begun.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment