Sunday, May 25, 2008

Oh for a Thousand Tongues...

As I am up especially early this Sunday morning preparing for a Sunday School lesson, I was thinking of one of my favorite hymns, "Oh For a Thousand Tongues to Sing." It is a reminder to me of what I felt called to do years ago when I was convicted of some sin in my life. As I was confessing my sin at the time, I began to pray through Psalm 51 - David's words after his affair with Bathsheba. For whatever reason that day, the words from verses 12-15 jumped off the page at me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways....teach! That was such a scary thing for me, and might I add it still is. However, I had found God's great forgiveness and who am I to keep that to myself? I don't always teach as I should or even to who I should - sometimes to a class, sometimes one on one, but I do know that we are to be pointing others to Christ. The prayer of my heart this morning is found in the first 2 verses of this hymn:
Oh for a Thousand Tongues to sing my great redeemers praise
the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of His name.
My gracious master and my God, assist me to proclaim,
to spread through all the earth abroad the honors of thy name.

Psalms 51:12-15
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.

O for a thousand tongues to sing My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King, The triumphs of His grace!
My gracious Master and my God, Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad The honors of Thy name.
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’Tis life, and health, and peace.
He breaks the power of canceled sin, He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,His blood availed for me.
Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come, And leap, ye lame, for joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how beautiful. One of my favorite hymns.
and what a sweet spirit you have.
God is living through you.